The official pictures still have to be made but here is an CAD impression of the printer The benefits compared to previous design are:
- New linear bearings. These are amazingly stiff and have virtually no friction. This results in the following
- Significantly improved printquality compared to FELIX 1.0.
- Circles are round without any further tuning.
- Increased positional accaracy due to less play and friction.
- Corners are razor sharp.
- New extruder design. A lot less bolts and nuts. Easier removal of hot-end for maintenance by means of a hinged door.
- New electronics housing. This part is now 5 in 1. So a lot less bolts and nuts, which results in less assembly time. Also cables are much easier to cleanly work away.
- Big fork of z-axis has hexagon holes to keep the bolts in place during assembly. No more fiddling with tweezers to keep it in place.
- Ability to print with rubber like filament!! The new extruder design is able to handle this flexible material. Felix 1.5 is one of the few printers on the market now who can print it without hacking your printer.
Please download the new user manual. UPGRADES of FELIX 1.5 (rev B)
New electronics case
This is a new electronics case for the ramps electronics. It has the following benefits:
- Much better cooling. The fan is now directly blowing cool air on the hottest components. During testing we forgot to place the heatsinks on the stepper drivers, but no skipped steps were experienced.
- It is easier to assemble, less bolts required, just click in the fan.
- More space to guide cables.
- The lid doesn't wobble anymore.
- Electronics can be placed in more firmly
Based on Kjetilei's design, we've created a new belt holder. It results in a x-axis stroke of 255mm instead of 235. It also has less friction because the washers are able to turn along when the belt is touching. Gcode files: