Glass bed on felix 3.0 platform

This is the place to show off your felix printer hacks and improvements.
Fsk

Glass bed on felix 3.0 platform

Post by Fsk »

Hi guys .

Im waiting for my 3.o kit and wanted to add a glass bed for easy bed changing.

As i live nearby ikea i was thinking of experimenting with a 20x20x3,2 cm mirror glass available there and office clips to fix it to the sandwich bed provided

Any drawback ? or a bettter solution ?

Also are there anyone from Portugal or north of Spain around here?

Saamec

Post by Saamec »

Better cut out glass in the size of the table... Normal solution, use glass for like a year.

frankjoke

Post by frankjoke »

I experimented with glass from a photo frame, it was 24x30cm and fit therefore nearly complete bed of my 3.0. It was only 1.65mm thick.

I do not use it because PLA sticks not so well on glass than on Kapton (or what I use inkjet printer foil, see one of my posts where I linked to Amazon).

On Glass I need to use glue or hairspray to stick everything else than NinjaFlex.
This is far too much work.

On Glass I had most materials bending off easily or tall things getting loose and lost.
So my glass is not used anymore.

For NinjaFlex I use original Kapton and for the rest I put the inkjet transparent on and I can print with <=50° on PLA and ~90° on ABS.

jefstaes

Post by jefstaes »

I'm using glass from old picture frame ... PLA ... with hairspray ... works perfect ... sometimes I spray some extra hairspray ... 8-)

Much easier then kapton ...

Saamec

Post by Saamec »

Year type PLA to clean the glass, just stick wood and rubber. For ABS got the tape from the company PICASO. Never had a day's printed with your Kapton. While it is glued and skinned old, table printer to tear you. And the glass prepare adhesion need. I rubbed his powder to clean the shells and plates. Powder left micro abrasions. The year is already printed on the glass. Well if you like Kapton, glue...

frankjoke

Post by frankjoke »

Interesting tape/sheet from PICASO, looks similar to my inkjet transparent I use (http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0002S4CRM) but I am not sure.

New printers from Felix come with one sheet of Kapton (instead the thin roll).
This is on my bed and I use it only for NinjaFlex.
Normally I put one sheet of Inkjet on printer and print bPLA & ABS. This sheet I need to exchange only after 2-3 weeks or 20-30 different large prints, but I do not need any hairspray, glue, or anything else on top. I also can print small peaces of NinjaFlex on it but for larger ones they just stick too much and it's too hard to get it off.

The inkjet paper is actually used to print transparent stickers (to be printed on inkjet) which you put on packages.
The used A4 Inkjet Paper
The used A4 Inkjet Paper
The white part is just the protector for the sticking side which is peeled off when you stick it on the bed.

creatte_it

Post by creatte_it »

Hello everybody. I'm really novice in 3D printing (own a Felix 3 just 3 weeks ago and its the first 3D printer ever in my life), and I want to ask you to explain me why everybody seems to have the urge for use glass or anything else to print on, when (in my really short experience) the kapton surface is really efficiently and works so well?

Maybe you can help me to understand?

frankjoke

Post by frankjoke »

Creatte,

no need to change if it works for you!
It depends what you are printing and which filament you use.

I used also Kapton for the first weeks but when you print long or tall things (like a hairband http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:33256 for my daughter) it does not stick over the print time and peels off at least on one side.

Also other prints which have a big base start to bend or tall ones fall aside. I was printing roses for Valentine, 6 at once, but with Kapton always 2-3 of them came off (even by pushing first layer into bed) and destroyed the print.

So I bought this inkjet paper and nothing comes off anymore.

creatte_it

Post by creatte_it »

Many thanks frankjoke. It was really helpful

cadfab3d

Post by cadfab3d »

On glass i found aquanet hair spray xtra hold works like a charm for abs with pla i use blue painters tape with little hair spray. Cheers