Disassembling hot end?

Discussions about mechanics
dext0rb

Disassembling hot end?

Post by dext0rb »

I keep getting minor jams lately. If I retract and pull out the filament, the end of it is a very long whispy string that pulls out for awhile. If I then cut the tip and put the fresh filament in, I can get it to extrude OK, but sometimes it still jams during the print.

I want to open the hot end to look at the inside, but the set screws on the bottom are SOLID. I can't get them to turn at all. In fact, I may have rounded them already. Is there any point in taking it apart? Or should I just use a .3mm drill into the nozzle and see if that will help?

Thx

dext0rb

Post by dext0rb »

Ahh, I read some other thread that says you shouldn't really take it apart. Also, I don't seem to have this issue with any other of my filaments, just this white PLA from Inventables. Maybe the filament is bad. Oh well.

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

this is black magic my friend, welcome to the club.

You don't have to unscrew the set screw to dissassemble the extruder. Only unscrew the top part first from the peek, then the peek, all that when the extruder is cold so not to damage the thread of the peek.
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

dext0rb

Post by dext0rb »

Hugues wrote:this is black magic my friend, welcome to the club.
this club is fun....sometimes... :lol:
Hugues wrote: You don't have to unscrew the set screw to dissassemble the extruder. Only unscrew the top part first from the peek, then the peek, all that when the extruder is cold so not to damage the thread of the peek.
Ah, good to know for future reference. Thank you.

I tried with a second spool of filament and had the same problems, so it wasn't that.

I did manage to fix it by taking out the hot end and forcing through some filament by hand while holding the hot end with some pliers. I cranked it to 260C (to "melt the shit out of whatever is in there"...technical term :lol: ) and had to use quite a bit of force to get some to extrude. I noticed that when I tried to pull the filament out, the upper end of it had expanded while in the hot end, which made it super hard to fully retract it. I think this was the major cause of the problem, when the extruder would try to retract a little, it couldn't and things would just go haywire.

I did this a couple times, force extrude, pull back, force extrude, pull back, until I could smoothly extrude and retract the filament.