Cold End Fan Shroud

This is the place to show off your felix printer hacks and improvements.
Capella_Ben

Cold End Fan Shroud

Post by Capella_Ben »

Looking at this post http://forum.felixprinters.com/viewtopi ... roud#p5402 I wanted to try a fan shroud.

So I designed one up: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:297757. It re-directs the air to the cooling fins on the extruder. The idea is that it keeps the cold end and the peek a bit cooler so that it prevents jams.

I'm not too sure if it is any more efficient than just increasing the fan voltage to 12V (Like I have already done). I did notice that it now produces a bit of back pressure on the fan.

I did measure the temperature of the peek at the top, middle and bottom and it is about the same as without the shroud.

Anyone else want to give it a go and let me know if you think it is of any benefit?
Ben
Felix 3.0 (upgraded from 2.0)

Shayne

Post by Shayne »

Hi Ben, I had 2 versions of the shroud after the paper one and one was way better than the other, the better one was slightly more open.
It takes very little back pressure to upset these computer fans, I'm still looking for the mini squirrel cage ones that can handle back pressure.

Attached is the stl of the shrouded door I used before up grading to the E3D head.
Cheers Shayne
Attachments
Fan Door.stl
Shrouded fan door
(308.87 KiB) Downloaded 58 times

Capella_Ben

Post by Capella_Ben »

That looks a pretty good design. I like the extra duct on the bottom. I'll have to print that out and give it a go.

I ended up attacking mine with a hacksaw and have shortened it quite a bit. I'll have to update the model.
Ben

Capella_Ben

Post by Capella_Ben »

Shayne,

I had another look at yours and I have a question; does it obscure the view of the extruder toothed wheel and the tensioner bearing? I need to keep a bit of an eye on those (especially when printing the more exotic materials) as the extruder often gets stuck.

I have updated my design on thingiverse with a more open design.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:297757

Look for the "short" version.
Ben

stillcool40

Post by stillcool40 »

can you upgrade the fans voltage by moving the wires in the control box? to 12v feed
if so is the a diagram of the connections to use.

Also should the fan suck out or blow in?

Dreide

Post by Dreide »

stillcool40 wrote:can you upgrade the fans voltage by moving the wires in the control box? to 12v feed
if so is the a diagram of the connections to use.
Yes, just use the third terminal of the "FANS" connectors (labelled with "OPT"). For a wiring diagram, see step 122a in the Felix 3.0 assembly manual.

stillcool40 wrote:Also should the fan suck out or blow in?
It is supposed to blow in.
Felix 2.0->3.0dual * Repetier (host+firmware) * KISSlicer Pro, Simplify3D * Cubify Design

stillcool40

Post by stillcool40 »

thats great, I fitted the new door /shroud posted above which seems to drop the cold end a few degrees, I will also make a new cold end with more cooling fins.

I did try replacing the peek with teflon which claimed to have the same temp tolerance....... worked for ten mins then the hot end dropped off!