Test print generator in Python

Discussions about firmware/slicing software, tweaks and settings
frankjoke

Test print generator in Python

Post by frankjoke »

Dear all,

I wanted to test new filament about their best print temperatures speeds, retract or feed.

Using a lot of fixed test models was cumbersome because you had to change some things manually and repeat print.

I therefore generated a relative small Python (3.x) program which prints some thin walls in n*m format and changes temperature every mm (all settings can be defined).

The TestGen generates a g-code file which can be feeded directly to the printer.
Testprint in work
Testprint in work

The print above is with lightblue very nice shining PLA from Sainsmart.
On the web page they were speaking abou 215° temperature to print, but prints were not so nice!
Now I know that it prints nicer with 190° (the test went down printing up to 175° without problems but not so nice on all speeds)

This test print was 3 different speeds and 3 different feeds (= 9 towers) with 40 degrees test span (every mm has a different temperature), it took 1h15 to print and I added the g-code file into the Zip.
TestGen.zip
The python script and a test print example file
(22.13 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
I hope you like it :P

frankjoke

Post by frankjoke »

I just uploaded a new version with a lot more command line options so you can create different test prints easily without changing python code.
TestGen20140427.zip
New Version
(17.22 KiB) Downloaded 61 times

seaton

Post by seaton »

Thanks for sharing!!!

I don't know what they don't include something like this with the Slicers or control programs like Repeiter. Would make life much easier when calibrating a new spool
Stephen...

Felix 2.0 -> Felix 3.0 dual
Simplify3D Slicer, Kisslicer
Have you added your Felix to the Map? http://goo.gl/maps/HajnZ

http://blog.strobotics.com.au