X-axis vibrations

picka

X-axis vibrations

Post by picka »

I'm having issues with vibrations in the x-axis when the hot end is moving away from the z spindle only. Turning up the current to the stepper makes it slightly better and tightening the belt makes it slightly better but I can't make the belt any tighter. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Sometimes it gets really bad and the nozzle bounces along the printed part.

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

picka: This sounds quite like the problem I had earlier where the extruder would vibrate when moving away from the z-axis spindle. I never managed to get rid of it properly but PTFE-spray on the Igus bearing helped. I believe it was caused by unoptimal tuning (read:kapton tape). If you are lucky with your Kapton tuning you might hit a sweet spot where the glider does not bind and slip rapidly.

Geertjan

Post by Geertjan »

Hi Picka. I experienced a lot of vibration on the x axis too. PTFE did not solve the problem. I finaly disassambled the slider. It is a laborious job because you have to remove the extruder and turn the rails a bit before you can slide the slider out. I found a sliver of plastic in the slider. And I replaced the kapton tape. After reassambling the x axis vibration was at an accaptable level. Since the new 1.5 upgrade of the printer has new sliders I'll wait for the upgrade. Lets hope that solves the problem forever.

picka

Post by picka »

Thanks for the reply, I'll try what you suggested. Yea it seems like the x-carriage has a fair bit of rotational play about the x-axis. Since all the weight is on one side of the slider (stepper motor), the contact points within the slider are all over the place.