Questions on Felix upgrade 2.0 -> 3.0

This is the place to show off your felix printer hacks and improvements.
Hugues

Questions on Felix upgrade 2.0 -> 3.0

Post by Hugues »

Hi guys,

I'm upgrading my Felix 2.0 to 3.0 with dual extruders and have a question when following the instructions manual.

The new extruder motor that comes with the 3.0 is slightly different than my original 2.0 motor.

As can be seen on the picture below (well, almost), the flat part on the shaft of the new motor is longer and closer to the motor base. This enables to place the extruder wheel closer to the motor base. The instruction manual says we need to place the wheel 2.5 mm away from the motor base.

This is possible with the new motor, but with the original motor the flat part on the shaft does not extend this close to the base. So 3 solutions:

1 - I leave the shaft like this and place the wheel 2.5 mm away from the base, but the setscrew will fall on the round part of the shaft, not ideal

2 - I use my dremel and try to machine a small flat on the shaft

3 - I place the wheel as far as i can on the flat part, but it's not going to be 2.5 mm away from the base.

4 - I cry and roll on the floor while cursing at Felix using bad dutch words :lol:

Which is more likely to work ?
IMG_20140429_205423.jpg
IMG_20140429_211702.jpg
Last edited by Hugues on Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

I went with alternative 2 :)

If you move the insert piece too much it will hit the plastic parts and/or not align properly with the filament path.

Dreide

Post by Dreide »

Same here. I manually filed off the shaft to give the setscrew a better grip.
Felix 2.0->3.0dual * Repetier (host+firmware) * KISSlicer Pro, Simplify3D * Cubify Design

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

Dreide wrote:Same here. I manually filed off the shaft to give the setscrew a better grip.
Good idea, I'll use my file instead of Dremel.

You're in Lausanne ? I'm in Blonay, above Vevey !
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

Now next one,

on the dual extruder version, the cables going out of the hot end, they come out in front, on the side, or at the back of the hot end ?

It seems the 2 extruders can only fit side by side by having the cables going out on each opposite sides. Or else if i put the cables in front, the extruder tips touch eachother.

But with the cables on the side, i cannot fit the fan duct ?!? :?:
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

Saamec

Post by Saamec »

If you are inventing something, even similar, then you need to withdraw fully from the original. Do not watch any of the steps. Just to think and experiment. If you want to do as Felix 3.0 - simply remove the dimensions and do likewise. When I did this http://forum.felixprinters.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=889 I'm not much was not looking and not copied. He took a sheet of paper, wrote that I want to get found in the sale of engines with the flats on the shaft, found the nuts and bolts with springs, as well as polyamide tubes. Then all was drawn in 3D. Has tested the model. Drew a printer profile, figured out how to fix, and took another holders for coils. Now typing a new carriage under this new extruder, all photos will be in the given branch.
I don't like that Felix 3.0 2 engine on the carriage... it's too much weight. At high speeds will be strong errors on the model... so I think Bowden system most appropriate. Moreover, all producers of almost all printers use it...
I would also like to wish you success in the invention... it is Very important to bear something new.. will Definitely follow your progress)))

Renevanderknaap

Post by Renevanderknaap »

I have troubles too and no response from Guillaume. I bought the upgradekit 2.0 to 3.0 single extruder and started with the powersupplybox. It does not fit. Although the site says that there is no difference between the p.sup 2.0 an 3.0 other than the powerswitch. This is wrong! The version with switch has different dimensions, its larger in any way and simply does not fit whithout drilling and cutting in the new molded plastic case. This is cosmetically unwanted and unexeptable. In my opinion Guillaume overlooked a few details in this upgradekit and even a few minors in the design of some other parts. For me the kit is not worth the money in this version.

The worst part of this upgradekit is the lack of response/support, i want to build and print. Not wait for weeks to get no answer or solution.

Did anyone else run up to the same p.supp. problem? And how did you solve it?

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

Hugues wrote:Now next one,

on the dual extruder version, the cables going out of the hot end, they come out in front, on the side, or at the back of the hot end ?

It seems the 2 extruders can only fit side by side by having the cables going out on each opposite sides. Or else if i put the cables in front, the extruder tips touch eachother.

But with the cables on the side, i cannot fit the fan duct ?!? :?:
that one was easy, just use pliers and fold the cables 90 degreees to the side of the extruder so they come out in front of this one. Some pictures later on in the instructions manual show this clearly. Not good for me to work too late at night, got my brain fuzzy. LOL. I finished to install the dual extruders, now tomorrow i will start cabling the second extruder.
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

Geertjan

Post by Geertjan »

Hi Rene
I just discovered the same problem with the power supply case. I am considering using the old printed case that came with my 2.0 upgrade. Not as pretty looking as the molded case but at least it fit's .

seaton

Post by seaton »

I left my V2 Case and power supply as is when I upgraded mine to V3. Does anyone know if there is a difference in watts of the old and new one?
Stephen...

Felix 2.0 -> Felix 3.0 dual
Simplify3D Slicer, Kisslicer
Have you added your Felix to the Map? http://goo.gl/maps/HajnZ

http://blog.strobotics.com.au