Questions on Felix upgrade 2.0 -> 3.0

This is the place to show off your felix printer hacks and improvements.
Hugues

Re: Questions on Felix upgrade 2.0 -> 3.0

Post by Hugues »

I finished the 3.0 upgrade, hardware and wiring.

Started some test prints today, wasted some time (again) on a jammed extruder.

Now my next problem is the following, suddenly my extruder 1 (the new one) goes up very slowly in temperature, reaches 50C at most. I'm pretty sure i saw it at 210 C earlier today, it might have started to behave like this after my firmware upgrade.

Anybody bumped into this issue ?
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

Saamec

Post by Saamec »

You bought the update Felix or do? I just did Bowden double extruder and disappointed. Print is too late. Setting does not help. in General you will have to do as Felix 3.0. In fact finish modeling, prints, and will gather all will place the files for download.

As for your problem... look at the firmware type thermistor, there 0,1,2,3...

Dreide

Post by Dreide »

As so often, Google-translate speaks in riddles...

Regarding the temp problem, my new heating cartridge was not working at all - the crimped connection a few cm away from the cartridge (covered by the extra isolation tube) had no contact. Measure the resistance of the cartridge (wires can stay connected to the PCB, but switch off the printer). The value should be stable and not more than a few Ohm.
Or maybe it is just showing 50°C but is much hotter in reality? That would speak for a thermistor problem - maybe just a loose contact at the PCB?

So far, my 2.0->3.0 upgrade was not the greatest experience ever - and I have not even activated the second extruder yet. But at least I managed to print again.

Saamec

Post by Saamec »

Sarcasm is clear))) Yeah I know bad English, but I don't use Google... there are other translators. What I failed it - no problem. I will do what I want. It will be the same as Felix 3.0., but easier. The meaning is the same, except for ease of calibration heights extruders. Currently 75% done...

Dreide

Post by Dreide »

When I assembled the 3.0 extruder, I thought right away that there is potential for improvement. The whole thing seems to be optimized for needing as few different molded parts as possible, and all other design goals, like ease of assembly and maintenance, and robustness regarding manufacturing and assembling tolerances, went over board. The design is smart in a way, but it just goes in the wrong direction.
Especially the tensioner gave me some headaches and I think the design is rather flawed as there is actually little control over tension. The effective tension depends too much on the exact filament diameter, and finding the right adjustment for the filament at hand is difficult (as a thought experiment, try to imagine how the tensioner would work when the filament was ultra hard and there was no elasticity in the tensioner arm at all - by what is the tension defined then? - is it really tension that can be adjusted? - why is the tensioner working, sort of?). Well, maybe I just have to get used to it as other people seem to get along with the tensioner just fine.
Anyways, Saamec, I will follow your activities closely and I am all open for 3.0 dual extruder upgrades. If the 2nd extruder could be easily calibrated in height would be of great advantage also for single extruder printing, because then one could move the 2nd extruder easily out of the way and thereby lower the risk of having it scrape off the print.

Saamec

Post by Saamec »

That's just now and I are engaged in designing tensioner... its design should be strong, graceful, as little room is left, and shall not disturb the air, and as you wrote - should not depend on the thickness of the rod plastic.... actually, therefore the design worked out by 75 %))) There is a version without spring, 't work is because of the flexibility of plastic, the lever.

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

Hugues wrote:...
Now my next problem is the following, suddenly my extruder 1 (the new one) goes up very slowly in temperature, reaches 50C at most. I'm pretty sure i saw it at 210 C earlier today, it might have started to behave like this after my firmware upgrade.

Anybody bumped into this issue ?
one of the wire of the new extruder's heat cartridge is open between the board and the crimp near the heat cartridge, i'm reading infinite resistance. I thought this wire is in one piece, so not sure where it is broken, i will have to remove it from the bundle and check.

I swapped the heat cartridge between old and new extruder, so now i'm printing with one extruder only and the new one, finally.

Saamec: looking forwared to seeing your new design, because i don't think i'm gonna have better luck with 2 extruders now like the first one.

Dreide: i'm not very far from you, above Vevey.
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

Dreide

Post by Dreide »

Hugues wrote: one of the wire of the new extruder's heat cartridge is open between the board and the crimp near the heat cartridge, i'm reading infinite resistance. I thought this wire is in one piece, so not sure where it is broken, i will have to remove it from the bundle and check.
Are you sure you've put the ohm-meter probe at the right spot where it is crimped? In other words, are you sure you did not(!) measure the crimped connection? Just wondering, because having such relatively thick cable broken somewhere in the middle just like that seems very unlikely.
Hugues wrote: Dreide: i'm not very far from you, above Vevey.
Yes, I know. Well, in the era of the internet distance is a relative measure.

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

Hugues wrote:...

one of the wire of the new extruder's heat cartridge is open between the board and the crimp near the heat cartridge, i'm reading infinite resistance. I thought this wire is in one piece, so not sure where it is broken, i will have to remove it from the bundle and check.
Found the problem. One of the wire was completely cutoff in the crimp. It could have been only there, the rest of the wire is in one piece.
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland