Exchanged filament guides

Discussions about mechanics
frankjoke

Exchanged filament guides

Post by frankjoke »

Dear all,

I recently had some bad experience on large objects which use last 5 cm of x-axis on my 3.0Dual.

I used the original filament guides which are 2mm inside/4mm outside and 40cm long.

I realized that if head moves too far out and filament is very hard and especially from inner part of the roll when it's not so straight as well I had problems that extruder could not pull enough (you start to hear some tok-tok) and some time he actually lost completely grip and stopped extruding which destroyed the print.

Now I looked for a better solution and found on internet http://www.moddiy.com/products/High-Qua ... D%29-.html and ordered 3m.

This is a 2mm inside and 3mm outside Teflon tube which is much more flexible than the original one and does a better job handling non straight and hard filament.
I cutted it also to 50cm to reduce the stress @ the end of X.
The old and new tubes
The old and new tubes
I used normal isolating tape to compensate for the external size difference @ the end.
In usage now on test print
In usage now on test print
All the best for you :)

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

thanks for the tip.

i saw those tubes in my upgrade kit.

Question: why do we need these tubes in version 3.0 ?
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

frankjoke

Post by frankjoke »

I can only guess but if you use the filament cleaner then it won't get any dust until it reaches the extruder and it also get's the filament out of dangerous print area.

I use them nearly always, only for NinjaFlex I had some problems (with old tubes, need to test new ones).

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

ok thanks,
i do use a filament cleaner,
i will check for the tubes in my upgrade kit.
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland