Stepper Motor broken?

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

Legion 2.3

Stepper Motor broken?

Post by Legion 2.3 »

Hello guys

I just got my DIY-Kit and started assembling it.
But then, i noticed, that one of the stepper motor (Z-axis in my case) can`t be moved by hand, even with force... Could it be normal, does it have some kind of brake which has to be released? The other steppers can be moved by hand.

Is it broken? Can i fix it somehow?

andrewsi

Post by andrewsi »

A stepper that can't be rotated by hand when disconnected from power has a problem, although that would be unusual. However, you don't say whether this is the motor pre-assembly, or after you've connected it to the threaded rod and the linear slide, which could be slightly misaligned and making it difficult to turn as a result.

Legion 2.3

Post by Legion 2.3 »

This stepper was one of the 4 preassembled ones which were delivered in the DIY-Kit of the Felix 3.0
I didn´t connect the motor to the threaded rod before. (This was impossible because i couldn´t rotate the motor into the correct position).

I just discovered another problem: 2 of the 6 small bearings are missing! I`ve alreade sent a mail to the support, but i don´t know if they´ll send me a replacement or when. Do you know where I can buy this bearing? (624 5x12x6) I can´t find it anywhere :cry:

andrewsi

Post by andrewsi »

It seems fairly common, unfortunately, for the kits to be missing a part here or there on delivery, but a completely broken stepper motor is the worst one I've heard yet. Most people don't hear much back from the support people online but they do seem to get the replacements out fairly quickly, so with any luck it won't take too long for you to get what's broken or missing, and the printer really is pretty darn good (once you get past the teething pains...) Sorry you have to go through that - I did too.

killejano

Post by killejano »

Make shure the wires are not connected to each other. This makes a magnetic lock and the stepper won't turn.

The 624 bearing should be fairly common. Ask from a shop that sels bearings to industry.

Legion 2.3

Post by Legion 2.3 »

The wires are not connected to ach other. It has to be a mechanic problem.

I just discovered another problem: It seems that i tightened the 2 outer set screws of the prinitng bed too much, now I can see a little bump at their position, about 0,5 mm high. ( i know they shouldn´t be tightened at all, i read that part too late )

Is this critical (I could fix it with sandpaper) or can i leave it like that?

I don´t know if this is inside the printing area?!

satoer

Post by satoer »

I don't know what screws you are talking about, but if the hotplate has 0,5 mm bumps it can be problematic. Keep in mind you can print layers from 0,1mm height (even lower). 0,5mm is 5 times that height. So the nozzle will scrape the bed on that position.
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

Legion 2.3

Post by Legion 2.3 »

I´m talking about the 3 screw that adjust the level of the hotplate.

Legion 2.3

Post by Legion 2.3 »

Now, the printer is assembled and I discovered the answer to my question myself: The screws are outside the printing area, so it´s no problem.

I was able to fix the stepper motor: The stator had a small bump which collided with rotor of the stepper, so it wasn´t able to turn. I fixed it with sandpaper and now it works fine :D