printer freezes when opening/closing light switch

General discussions regarding hardware
Hugues

printer freezes when opening/closing light switch

Post by Hugues »

Hi guys

Been having this problem since one year, when someone opens or closes a light switch in the basement where my printer is, it freezes completely. The only thing I can do is reboot and start over.

I tried grounding the shield of the USB cable, no difference. Recently I added a 1000 uf capacitor in parallel to the 12 volts input on the board, no difference.

Anyone else has this problem and idea how to fix it?
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

killejano

Post by killejano »

I have this same problem too. Sometimes it helps to disconnect the power sousce from my laptop when turning the lights off. I've added ferrites to all possible wires with no succes. The only thin that helped was to add a varistor paraller to the light. I might try the varistor in the printer power suply some time in the future but I'm coping for now.

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

So you think it might come through the computer and USB port ?

I cannot test this because I don't have batteries anymore in the old laptop I'm using. :|

At the moment I put tape on all light switches while I'm printing so no one closes them, but then I need to leave the lights on in the basement, not that great.

I also bought a power bar with protection against lighting and other power surge, or so they say, but no difference.
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

killejano

Post by killejano »

Well it helps sometimes to unplug the charger, but not every time. The varistor helped a lot, but mostly I still print with the lights on or start the print with just my table lamp on. It's the fluorecent tube that gives the surges mostly.

Pieter

Post by Pieter »

Guess this (or similar) could help you out: http://www.conrad.com/ce/en/product/530 ... archDetail
(a gridfilter or RLC circuit. removes parasites from your powergrid)
I used to have some troubles with electronic dimmed lights switching on sometimes due to a tram passing by...

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

Thanks, I ordered one
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

Pieter

Post by Pieter »

Hugues,
did you allready try the filter?

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

Pieter wrote:Hugues,
did you allready try the filter?
Received it yesterday, should have the time to install it (need soldering) this weekend, will report results here.
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

so, i installed the filter, closed and opened all the light switches i could find, i could not reproduce the problem, so far. Normally i can reproduce it very easily by closing the lights, so it's looking good, but better wait a few days for the definitive call on this one. If my problem occurs again, i will post here right away.

I bought this filter from the swiss website, it was cheaper:
http://www.conrad.ch/ce/fr/product/5303 ... -6609006-9

i did not open the Felix power supply. If you look at the picture, you see the filter has 3 flat connectors at the end (actually the part i received had the flat connectors on the side). So i found myself an old pc power cord, cut it out, and solder it to these flat connectors, to make a dongle. So I plug this dongle in the Felix power supply, and my incoming power plus into the filter.

I know a picture would be better, but i already heatshrunk it.

Thanks for the tip Pieter !
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

Hugues wrote:so, i installed the filter, closed and opened all the light switches i could find, i could not reproduce the problem, so far. Normally i can reproduce it very easily by closing the lights, so it's looking good, but better wait a few days for the definitive call on this one. If my problem occurs again, i will post here right away.

argh ! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Printer froze half way through my print this morning, nobody opened the lights i think but the de-humidifer was running and this one is cycling sometimes, probably the reason.

I frankly have enough with troubleshooting this printer, week-ends are too short to be wasted like this, and it's been a year now, so one would expect more stable conditions.

I'm seriously considering giving up on this printer and FDM in general, going to DLP. And yes, surely these printers have their own issues as well, but less moving parts, i might have better luck, and finish is so much better.
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland