All heaters (two extruders & print bed) no longer working?!

SunBoley

All heaters (two extruders & print bed) no longer working?!

Post by SunBoley »

Hello,

On my Felix 3.0 Dual extruders, it appears that the Arduino board is no longer heating the two extruders and the print bed [the related indicator LEDs (light emitting diodes) on the board don't light up or they go off instantly after I turn on a heater from the Repetier interface].
All other functions (fans, stepper motors, etc) are still working properly.
I'm not in the "Dry run" mode and still no heater works.

I did not find anything related, over the forum...

How to resolve that issue very urgently??

Best Regards,

Legion 2.3

Post by Legion 2.3 »

I have a few ideas what COULD cause this error

- Short circuit
Look for conductive debris at the board, especially near the contacts for the heaters
You could use a multimeter to check for short circuits.

- Did you try to power the 3 heaters indiviually? Maybe only one is broken (short circuit) and the board kills the other ones for self protecting. You can try to disconnect every heater and connect them seperately.

- Maybe, something´s wrong with Repetier Host. Did you try to heat the heaters using the LCD-panel?

These are all ideas i have until now, maybe it helps you ;)

Dreide

Post by Dreide »

Are the temperature readings okay? Maybe the problem is in the wiring of the thermistors (e.g. bad clamp contacts which are located close to the thermistor and which are covered by the red tube)? Or a loose connection to the PCB?

EDIT: Got the clamping issue confused with the heater cartridge. Regarding the thermistors, I think only the old ones have extension wires clamped on.
Last edited by Dreide on Thu May 29, 2014 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Felix 2.0->3.0dual * Repetier (host+firmware) * KISSlicer Pro, Simplify3D * Cubify Design

SunBoley

Post by SunBoley »

To Legion 2.3:
1- Short circuit
The board is clean. If there is a short, it is not visible. All wires neatly clamped.
2- Individual trials
Yes, the Arduino board just won't send any power to any heater, now. A few days ago, everything was working fine. Then the problem appeared from time to time but was not persistent. And now, the problem is permanent.
3- I don't have the LCD, yet. Nor PrintToPeer, yet.

To Dreide:
4- Heaters:
Heater for hot end one : 5 Ohms
Heater for hot end two : 5 Ohms
Heater for heat bed : 1.7 Ohms

5- Thermistors:
Thermistor for hot end one : 1280 K Ohms
Thermistor for hot end two : 119 K Ohms
Thermistor for heat bed : 113 K Ohms
Spare thermistor : 116 K Ohms

6- In Repetier, the temperature reading for extruder one is below zero degree, while the others read 21 degrees.

Dreide

Post by Dreide »

SunBoley wrote: 5- Thermistors:
Thermistor for hot end one : 1280 K Ohms
Thermistor for hot end two : 119 K Ohms
Thermistor for heat bed : 113 K Ohms
Spare thermistor : 116 K Ohms

6- In Repetier, the temperature reading for extruder one is below zero degree, while the others read 21 degrees.
So the thermistor of hot end #1 is broken (or there is a loose contact somewhere in the wiring), the firmware detects this by getting a too low temperature reading and shuts down the heating for safety reasons. If the loose contact is in the small metallic thermistor can, you might get away by just tightening the set screw for thermistor in the hot end. Otherwise, exchange the thermistor.
(Note that I edited my previous post.)
Felix 2.0->3.0dual * Repetier (host+firmware) * KISSlicer Pro, Simplify3D * Cubify Design

SunBoley

Post by SunBoley »

Yes.
The thermistor of hot end #1 was the problem. Its working life ended only after 3 to 5 working hours!
Its retaining set screw has been driven powerfully enough, when the Felix production line assembled it, that the set screw embossed its profile on the thermistor. Maybe that shortened the thermistor's working life. Those thermistors appear to be very delicate and fragile.
Thanks for your help! ¦ )