First Print-Filament won't feed

Formatize

First Print-Filament won't feed

Post by Formatize »

Hi Guys,

I've completed the assembly of my Dual Extruder Felix 3.0 and I'm trying to do my first print but I'm struggling to load the filament.

I heat up the hot-end to 195 degrees, load the supplied PLA into the hole on top of the extruder head and extrude at 200mm/min for 50mm. I can feel the gear grinding against the filament but it won't grab. The tip of the filament is shaved at an angle when I remove it after my attempt.

I do adjust the tensioning arm while loading the filament. I start off with the arm at it's most "lose" setting and slowly tension it as the gear is rotating but it never grabs.

Can someone please tell me what I can do to solve this, would love to do my first print.
Felix 3.0 Dual, Simplify 3D, Solidworks

Legion 2.3

Post by Legion 2.3 »

It could be a defective hot end.

Maybe, the hole in the nozzle is blocked somehow or the parts of the hot end are misalligned.
Another reason could be bad filament. Use a caliper to measure the diameter. The diameter should be arround 1.75mm +-0.1 . If it´s too large, it gets stuck in the hot end, if it´s too small, the gear can´t grab it.

You could try to push the filament manually through the heated nozzle (don´t burn yourself ;) )
If this is possible, check if the bearing that counters the filament in the extruder is running free.
Check the head fan. It has to turn all the time when the hot end is active.

Formatize

Post by Formatize »

I have just found my problem but not sure how to fix it.

The retract function in repetier is my extrude function. To gear was rotating the wrong way on my previous attempts and that's why it rejected the filament.

My problem is that I checked the wiring on the stepper motors and it looks correct. Why would these functions be swoped around? Also, the extrude function didn't want to retract my filament after the filament has gone through the hot-end. The extrude function didn't do anything.

Where can I look to fix this problem. Thanks for you input so far.

BTW: At what speed do you extrude your filament when loading new filament?

seaton

Post by seaton »

do you have a single or dual head? What side is your extruder on the head looking at it? Left or Right?

It sounds like you have the extruder plugged into the wrong extruder port on the control board as the second extruders rotation is the opposite direction to the first extruder. Try swapping it to the next/previous one

Stephen...
Stephen...

Felix 2.0 -> Felix 3.0 dual
Simplify3D Slicer, Kisslicer
Have you added your Felix to the Map? http://goo.gl/maps/HajnZ

http://blog.strobotics.com.au

Formatize

Post by Formatize »

Thanks Stephen

I've got a dual extruder but I swapped the extruder cables on the main board as you specified and it's now rotating correctly. I just need to swap the hot-end cables as well because the extruder is turning for the wrong hot-end.

seaton

Post by seaton »

Good to hear. It is a bit confusing with the extruder numbering, I got caught myself :)

Importantly extruder 0 is the one on the Left (looking at the Felix from the front) This caused me no end of trouble when I was calibrating my dual extruders as no matter what I did could get them printing together, until I found I had my extruder numbering around the wrong way.

I had my extruder 0 on the right (looking from the front), the firmware extruder numbering seems to be the reverse, from looking at the rear of the the printer so in this case extruder 0 is on the Right
Stephen...

Felix 2.0 -> Felix 3.0 dual
Simplify3D Slicer, Kisslicer
Have you added your Felix to the Map? http://goo.gl/maps/HajnZ

http://blog.strobotics.com.au

Formatize

Post by Formatize »

The extruders are now working probably and I have printed with both of them (not at the same time though). The test prints don't look to bad.

I would like to add that I didn't add as many washers and crinkle washers for the tension arm as they specify in the manual. I only have 4 large washer and 3 crinkle washers instead of the 5 large washers and 4 crinkle washers. That's just too tight in my opinion and my PLA is extruding without any problems.

Once again, thanks for the help.