Problem with first layer

michalp

Problem with first layer

Post by michalp »

Hi, Im totally new to 3d print... bought assembled Felix 3.0 and to be honest... I feel my IQ is too low for it :)

Im trying to print with white PLA 190C bed 60C and looks like I can't go beyond 1st layer without messing the whole print. I would say it doesn't stick but have a feeling that I've messed up some settings.

I slice with SFACT - 2_1 Normal quality - didn't go to configure ... I imagine its preconfigured?
Than I set the temp 190C and bed 60C for one Extruder as I yet have no use for the second Extruder.

The question is what should I set as Speed mm/min and Extrude mmm & Retract mm ?
Do i need to set it up to Retract while changing the print head or it got it by default in the slicer options?

Should I heat up the head a bit more for PLA? any tips for the first layer?

Also how far should the nozzle be from the bed? in home position?

Formatize

Post by Formatize »

I'm also new with the Felix but I've been 3D printing with another machine for more than a year. It seems that there is quite a bit to learn with the Felix but it will be worth it.

I'm pretty sure your nozzle isn't close enough to the bed so the filament isn't sticking. I had the same problem so with my first print and I just adjusted my Z height and I was good to go. Also level your bed as best as you can otherwise the nozzle will be too high or close in other areas.

I print at the suggested 195C with polymakr PLA and a bed temp of 55C.
Felix 3.0 Dual, Simplify 3D, Solidworks

michalp

Post by michalp »

looks like its solved...
ive set 205C and 65C for the bed. Switched off the fan for the first layer and hairsprayed the bed. Uff Uff Im happy! don't understand many options yet but will learn.

Is slicer better?

michalp

Post by michalp »

btw the head was OK I think... less than a BusCard from the bed.. 1-2 sheets of paper thickness

Formatize

Post by Formatize »

I don't have a lot of experience when it comes to the slicing software. My other machine is a Up Plus which has it's own software that combines everything so the settings are very easy to configure but are very limited (can't even adjust the temp).

This is the first time I'm using slicer software such as Skeinforge so I can't say if Slic3r is better but there is a thread somewhere where they discuss it.

Forgot to mention that I print on 3mm glass with painters tape. I also use a business card that is 0.2mm thick and I make sure that it has a tight fit. This gives me the best adhesion so far.
Felix 3.0 Dual, Simplify 3D, Solidworks

polymerled

Post by polymerled »

Use Slic3r. Would you like my settings?

michalp

Post by michalp »

yes please... btw still have problem with sticking... Im guessing I need to work on technique for the first layer... no fan and higher temp helps but not yet perfect solution. Need to learn how to make the first layer thicker etc etc. Can slic3r help?

polymerled

Post by polymerled »

Yeah, Slicer can help all of those settings. :)

3djohny

Post by 3djohny »

Hi polymeled could you share your settings with me? I was struggling with Slic3r for a long time and didn't tweak it to best state as it has a much worse detail then SFACT and the overhang angle is really poor compared to SFACT's. Thanks in advance!