Extruder Stepper stopping withing print

Discussions about the electronics
frankjoke

Extruder Stepper stopping withing print

Post by frankjoke »

I have a strange behaviour since 2day on one of my dual extruders:
After printing a while it just stops.
The stop is somehow on the board in the controller, sometimes only one coil stops (then you hear the tock-tock-tock and he does not move because only one coil works), sometimes both (then you do not hear anything).
After applying a reset or power down of printer and restart it works again, but it's coming back, either in first layer as just before or after 3 hours in a six hour print (also 2day) so I could finish only one small 1h print today so far!

I printed several spools already with that extruder.

What could be the root cause and how can I address it?

Dreide

Post by Dreide »

Broken wires at the cable inlet of the motor? Wiggling at the wires should change the behavior then.
Felix 2.0->3.0dual * Repetier (host+firmware) * KISSlicer Pro, Simplify3D * Cubify Design

frankjoke

Post by frankjoke »

I checked this and it's not the reason (I has this problem on other extruder and had to exchange motor already there).

Anyhow, without touching extruder I can make it working by resetting the controller or powering off/on. Therefore it is something in the controller I believe.
p.s.: The other extruder is not affected.

Dreide

Post by Dreide »

frankjoke wrote:Anyhow, without touching extruder I can make it working by resetting the controller or powering off/on. Therefore it is something in the controller I believe.
With controller you mean the µ-controller, I guess. But I don't see how the µ-controller could make only one coil fail. AFAIK, the µ-controller is connected to the motor driver via three signals: enable, direction, and step. So all the logic about which coil to drive at which current is in the motor driver.
The question is why a reset helps. Could be that it just puts whatever link in the chain in a different thermal state at which the malfunction does not occur. Or the malfunction is triggered by a certain thermal state and can only be fixed by whatever re-initializes the motor driver. Besides a power cycle, toggling the enable signal is the only thing I could think of which might reset the motor driver, so what happens if you quickly disable/enable the extruder motor, like M84 followed by an extrusion?
Before thinking of getting the board or the motor driver exchanged, I would still verify for sure that it is not the motor (maybe some wiring problem inside), by swapping motors and whatever else is needed.
Felix 2.0->3.0dual * Repetier (host+firmware) * KISSlicer Pro, Simplify3D * Cubify Design

Dreide

Post by Dreide »

Dreide wrote:
frankjoke wrote:Besides a power cycle, toggling the enable signal is the only thing I could think of which might reset the motor driver, so what happens if you quickly disable/enable the extruder motor, like M84 followed by an extrusion?
I just see that the motor driver used by Felix actually also has reset and sleep signal inputs, so a µ-controller reset might as well reset the motor driver. Disabling/enabling the motor might still be useful to see what happens when just the thermal state of the driver and motor changes.

frankjoke

Post by frankjoke »

Thanks for your observation and analysis.
It would explain why reset/power cycle helps to get it working again.

Now I need to understand why it gets into this situation. will do some check if temperature get's hot. Is there any way to check the controller board temp?
I do not have equipment to check voltages and/or current in real time to see if I have a torque problem because Motor or whatever else was affected.