ABS

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

killejano

Re: ABS

Post by killejano »

Well this is partly why the 3.0 has injection molded parts...

cbensch

Post by cbensch »

If you want to go ABS there is really only one SURE way to get it to stick...but I warn you, removing the part is NOT easy. Go to your local hardware store and have them cut three pieces of standard window glass to the exact size of your print bed. I believe it's 3/16ths of an inch thick. (here in the US anyway) Use metal paper binder clips to clip a piece onto your printer's aluminum bed and recalibrate the z axis. Now add a few small pieces of ABS filament into an aluminum can and pour a bit of acetone into the can. It will dissolve the filament into a paste. Once you have the paste, heat up your bed and once at temperature use a cottom swab to smear the area where the print is going to go. Print away!

When done, remove the glass carefully and place it aside. If you need to print again use another piece of glass and repeat the process.

Let the glass cool completely to remove the print then carefully wiggle the print a bit till it comes loose. Remember you're dealing with glass so don't force it otherwise you'll break it and get hurt. I should know...

Clean the glass with a razor blade.

Works every time. No glues. No tape. Nothing but your material and some acetone.

Saamec

Post by Saamec »

Retrieved. 't work. I did a year ago. After 50-100 layers, if the item is larger than a box of matches, the tension gradually detaches the first layer, together with acetone layer. Better film Picaso Tape while it is not invented. Now it prints correctly, extremely rare model comes unstuck. The only thing that would help is to increase the temperature of the table to 120 degrees, but with Felix, this is difficult to achieve. You should also know that acetone harmful. Constant inhalation of vapors increases the content of acetone in the blood, as happens with insulin-dependent people. Are very negative processes. In many countries, acetone prohibited to retail.

cbensch

Post by cbensch »

Saamec wrote:Retrieved. 't work. I did a year ago. After 50-100 layers, if the item is larger than a box of matches, the tension gradually detaches the first layer, together with acetone layer. Better film Picaso Tape while it is not invented. Now it prints correctly, extremely rare model comes unstuck. The only thing that would help is to increase the temperature of the table to 120 degrees, but with Felix, this is difficult to achieve. You should also know that acetone harmful. Constant inhalation of vapors increases the content of acetone in the blood, as happens with insulin-dependent people. Are very negative processes. In many countries, acetone prohibited to retail.
I don't mean to sound crass, but it is no more harmful than the toxic fumes expelled by your extruder pushing molten ABS plastic through for the entire duration of a print. There have been many studies saying that printing ABS releases toxins into the air. With a little care (i.e. proper ventilation) risks could be mitigated when printing ABS and using an acetone/ABS solution.
Last edited by cbensch on Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saamec

Post by Saamec »

I've print only PLA, so your sarcasm failed. In Russia we now produce high quality PLA, and it is inexpensive and close to home.