Electricity problem

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

3djohny

Electricity problem

Post by 3djohny »

Hello Felix support and felix community!

I had bought two Felix 3 printers which I assebmled. They print very well. Only one, yet a big problem is that sometimes when I turn on the second Felix printer, the first suddenly stops print and restarts itself. It sometimes happened also when I turned the lamp on. Note please that I've already tryied multiple options: Connected the printers to individual computers (thought it was caused with missdirected signal from USB cable) and tried extension cable with overvoltage protection and when it didn't work too I bought the UPS (CyberPower GreenPower 1500VA). However today, with printers connected into UPS when I turned on the second printer it made the second Felix restart even when it was running on SD card...

I have absolutely no idea what could help, because this is a really painfull problem, causing destroy lot of my prints...

Thanks in advance for any tips

EDIT: I just plugged a notebook adapter into wall socket and it stopped the print of the printer that was connected via USB to other computer, but didn't stopped the second that was running from SD. So maybe it is possible that some overvoltage in curcuit creates some singnal to computer's USB and send terminating command (Repetier says that "Subprocess has been terminated"). Maybe try some DTR settings in repetier? I don't know what these are for. Reset on Connect is set to DTR low>high>low. Shall I try to change it?

jefstaes

Post by jefstaes »

Sometimes I have the same issue by turning of my light on my desk ... Felix stops printing and gives an error ...

3djohny

Post by 3djohny »

Any solution found?

zh5879

Post by zh5879 »

I had the problem with the connection of the AC input at the power supply (IEC-60320 C21 standard). You have to push the plug very well into the power supply socket, else it can happen that you have a loose connection and the power gets interrupted for a short moment even if you only slightly touch the cable.

evelyncarter

Post by evelyncarter »

Last time even I face the same problem when I switch on the light the printer automatically gone off. Why it is so? Is there any solution to solve it? I am really comfortable with Felix printer. I need your help to solve this problem. I have gone through with your Homepage but I didn't dint find the solution for my query. Waiting here for others reply..

WayneC

Post by WayneC »

Just a wild guess... perhaps your problem is in the building wiring. The current surge when switching on a new device results in a momentary voltage drop in the supply voltage. Like I said, just a wild guess. You might want to get an electrician to evaluate your building wiring.

markm

Post by markm »

The problem lies in the FTDI chip used for the USB serial port emulation. I've experienced it before when using this chip in test equipment and something that was supposed to be a product. In my case switching the florescent light above my work bench causes the laptop to lose the connection to the printer, the "COM port" literally disappears from device manager. I've tried a big mains filter in the light wiring but that didn't help. In the past I've found a filter in the supply of the equipment (ie. the printer) can help, and also some filtering components on the USB signal lines themselves may help. If I ever have a free moment I'm going to have a look at the PCB.

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

markm wrote:...and also some filtering components on the USB signal lines themselves may help. If I ever have a free moment I'm going to have a look at the PCB.
I've tried many things, also grounding one side of the USB cable shield, but no success whatsoever.

Let us know if you find something .
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

RAD Design

Post by RAD Design »

I am also having this problem. The printer will stop for no apparent reason sometimes 3 or 4 times a day. The printer stops responding to commands from Repetier. If I try disconnect then try to connect it says COM port not there. I have today updated firmware and re install Repetier but the problem just happened again.

I came to forums to search and found this thread and then I got 'light bulb' moment after reading posts because just as printer stop, my portable air conditioning unit had switched on. So I just try moving printer bed and switch on air con unit and it makes printer stop. I was using a USB extension cable with USB cable supplied with printer.

I have now removed extension cable and connected printer with supplied cable directly to a USB port that is on mainboard of computer. Did a little test after, just moving bed and switching on air con and all other electrics in same room and connection to printer was good.

Hopefully this solves problem for me and maybe help others with this same problem but while I am printing I turn air con off for now.

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

RAD Design wrote:...

Hopefully this solves problem for me and maybe help others with this same problem but while I am printing I turn air con off for now.
well let us know for sure if this solves your problem, also when you keep your aircon on. I have the same problem with a dehumidifier, and i cannot really keep it off, or else the basement gets damp, no good for filament.
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland